Revontuli or “Northern Lights” covers a variety of music from Finland as well as original compositions and instrumental pieces written for the kantele.
Tangos, waltzes, gypsy music blend together with traditional songs from Karelia and Ostra Bothnia, along with tunes for the 5, 10 and 36 string kantele.
“There is something distinct about Finnish music. It is the music of my ancestors. It can be both exotic and pure, electrifying and mesmerizing. It stands in my life as both sunlight and moonlight, and like the kokko, the bonfire, always burning.” -Diane Jarvi
- Diane Jarvi, vocals, guitar, kantele
- Seppo “Paroni” Paakkunainen, Finland’s great jazz artist,
on tuohihuilu (birch bark flute) and saxophones
- Dan Newton, accordion
- Jim Price, violin and mandolin
- Marc Anderson, percussion
- Gordy Johnson, bass
- Dean Magraw, guitar
- Brian Barnes, guitar
- Arto Järvelä, violin (from Finnish folk duo Pinnin Poijat & fiddle group JPP)
- Kimmo Pohjonen, accordion, (from Pinnin Poijat)