Diane Jarvi CV
Facebook and LinkedIn – Diane Jarvi
Diane Jarvi is a singer, songwriter and guitarist and writer. Over many years as a professional musician and poet (under the name Diane Jarvenpa) she has intertwined her creative disciplines with her teaching arts.
Her recordings are heard on radio throughout Europe, Canada, Australia as well as around the U.S. She has been the subject of film documentaries and has been the recipient of artistic grants and awards including a Folk and Traditional Arts legacy grant in music from the Minnesota State Arts Board.
- Diane Jarvi – CD: This Ordinary Day 2021, CD: bittersweet 2014, CD: Wild Gardens 2007, CD: Paper Heart 2004, CD: Flying Into Blue 1999CD: Revontuli 1996 CD: Foreign Winds 1992
- Featured artist on Cafe Accordion Orchestra CDs-- Dancing On The Moon,
- Berets and Bongos, La Zingara
- Included on Southside Soul II CD compilation
- Included on Minnesota Homegrown, Best acoustic singer/songwriters
- Featured on two Koivun Kaiku kantele ensemble recordings
- Minnesota State Arts Board Folk and Traditional Arts grant
- Suomi Seura –Finland Society of Helsinki grant in music
- Finlandia Foundation grants in music and video
- Bush Fellowship finalist
- Finlandia Foundation Performer of the Year
- McKnight Artist Fellowship for Performing Musicians from the MacPhail Center for the Arts
Perfomances (partial listing)
- Scandinavian Festival – guest performer and instructor–Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Winnipeg Philharmonic Choir – guest performer
- Nordic Symposium Los Angeles – guest performer
- St. Bauzille de Montmel, France in concert – guest performer
- Guest artist Minnesota Sesquicentennial show – Fitzgerald Theater St Paul
- Guest artist Café Europa at the Fitzgerald Theater St Paul
- Hawaii Public Radio solo concert, Honolulu
- Winona State University, International Music Series – 1998-2008
- World music concerts at Cedar Cultural Center – 1992-2015
- The Minnesota Oratorio Society – guest performer
- Solo performer and subject of Finnish documentary Kaipuu
- World music concerts and festivals: California, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Washington D.C.
- Concert tour of Finland
- Jarvi has taught workshops at music festivals across the U.S. and Canada.
- She has taught in university settings including, York University in Toronto, San Diego University and Minnesota State University at Winona.
- She has given guitar workshops and lessons for over thirty years to both children and adults, privately and through community education courses. She has taught kantele (folk harp) lessons and workshops for children and adults over the past twenty-five years.
- In 2011 she completed a yearlong artist residency in Cokato, Minnesota where she taught kantele and Finnish folk culture to students in classes ranging in age from five to eighty years old.
- She has run her own independent record label, Lupine Records since 1992. Recorded and produced 6 solo CDs.
- As a member of the New Bohemian Arts Cooperative, she successfully ran a crowd-funded project that raised $5550.00 to record her CD bittersweet.
- She is a teaching artist with the Alzheimer’s Poetry Project and as a musician has performed for older adults with early stage Alzheimer’s in assisted living and nursing home sites for memory care programs.
Diane Jarvenpa has been writing poetry for over forty years. She has been the recipient of grants and awards for her writing and has worked as a visiting poet, teacher and researcher.
- Divining The Landscape, New Rivers Press, 1996
- Ancient Wonders, The Modern World, Red Dragonfly Press, 2005
- The Tender Wild Things, New Rivers Press, 2007
- swift, bright, drift, Red Dragonfly Press, 2016
- The Way She Told Her Story, New Rivers Press, 2018
- The Way She Told Her Story—Music and poetry by Diane Jarvi
- Film by Cadence Nelson
Other Publishing Credits (partial listing)
- Mixed Voices; Contemporary Poems about Music. Milkweed Editions
- Boomer Girls: American Women Poets Come Of Age, University of Iowa Press
- To Sing Along The Way: Minnesota Women Poets from Pre-territorial Days to the Present New Rivers Press
- The Bedford Poets – anthology
- New World Finn journal, contributing columnist, 2006-2011
- Milkweed Editions E-Verse
- Finnish-North American Literature in English-A Concise Anthology, The Edwin Mellen Press
- Perfect Dragonfly-Anthology, Red Dragonfly Press
- Water~Stone, 2009, 2012
- The World Engaged-An Anthology of Nature Writing, Wood Thrush Books 2017
- Visiting Bob Poems Inspired by the Life and Work of Bob Dylan, New Rivers Press 2018
- Rocked By The Waters -Poems of Motherhood, Nodin Press 2020
- Heron Poetry Anthology —forthcoming
Competitions and Grant Awards (partial listing)
- New Rivers Press-Minnesota Voices Project winner of poetry manuscript competition, Divining The Landscape.
- Minnesota State Arts Board Fellowship Grant for Writing
- New Rivers Press-- Many Voices Project winner poetry manuscript competition for The Tender Wild Things
- The Tender Wild Things--first prize in poetry from the Midwest Independent Publishers Association Book Awards
- Minnesota State Arts Board Artist Initiative Grant for poetry
- Honorable Mention Northeastern Minnesota Book Award for The Way She Told Her Story
- Jarvenpa has given readings, taught classes, worked with mentorships and poetry exchanges. She has also been a visiting poet and instructor at colleges and universities including, Winona State University, College of Idaho, University of Minnesota- Moorhead, South Central CollegeFaribault, MN. She has also worked in the public schools with Reader’s Theater and poetry presentations.
- Jarvenpa has been a teaching artist with the Alzheimer’s Poetry Project since 2015. She has also taught poetry classes for seniors for the East Side Arts Council.
- Jarvenpa worked with the Finnish-American community of Cokato, MN and edited Ancestral Fires, a small book of writing, poetry, history and reminiscences by its residents in 2011.
- As a lyricist, she has recorded her compositions on her solo CD recordings: This Ordinary Day, bittersweet, Wild Gardens, Paper Heart, Flying Into Blue, Revontuli, Foreign Winds