New Music From Diane Jarvi
I am working on a new recording and you can help make it happen!
Current Amount received from Artvestors: $2700.00! Kiitos!
This is exciting because I’m including the kantele on many of the tracks. What is a kantele? Well, it is a traditional folk harp from Finland. It commonly ranges in size from 5 -36 strings.
You see, when I pick up a kantele and play, I’m also picking up a set of musical traditions, a history, a mythology, and an art form. That’s one of the greatest rewards of being a musician. And I can play music that speaks to the shy girl inside me. Kanteles are some of the world’s softest sounding instruments. In the bird world, kanteles would be those birds you hear, but never see. They have a mesmerizing sound that can be haunting, sparkling, raw and moody.
For more than thirty years I have followed various musical paths, beginning with American folk roots, stopping at jazz, hopping the world music train, and engaging in my own songwriting. Twenty of those years I have been compelled to pick up and play the kantele. Why? It’s a bit of sun that lights in the hand.
So I am going back to my roots to record songs from Finland and Finnish-America.
It’s been 15 years since my last recording that concentrated on my heritage. Joining me are Arto Järvelä, the great Finnish fiddler and Minna Raskinen, a wonderful kantele player also of Finland. Other friends will be added as I make my journey through gypsy songs, ancient runes, waltzes, instrumentals and maybe a tango.
The preproduction and recording of these songs begin the process, but there is always a lot to do to complete a CD, including mixing and mastering, production, cover design and artwork, promotion and marketing etc… Crazy, right?
Recording has already begun! It’s been wonderful working with Arto Järvelä. He is a generous, imaginative, profoundly talented musician who always brings great spirit and respect to whatever music he creates. This time in the studio he played both fiddle and esseharpa (Finnish keyed fiddle).
Now onward! I plan on recording more tracks and bringing in more friends to lend their distinct sounds as well as working on some solo tunes.
You’ve probably heard of musicians raising money from individuals to finance their projects—through websites such as Kickstarter. I am a founding member of an artist cooperative (New Bohemian Arts Cooperative) that has created its own collaborative financing model called Artvesting. We offer a personal, local alternative to the other large-scale crowd sourcing models and my new recording is our first Artvesting project.
As a backer of my project you will become part of my creative community, receive an advance copy of the CD and other personalized benefits according to the level of your support. And you will know that the Cooperative is dedicating 100% of your support to helping me realize the project.
If you would like to support this project, you can do so right here on my website.
*If you would prefer to send a check, you can make it out to: New Bohemian Arts Cooperative. And mail it to Lupine Records P.O. Box 19274, Minneapolis, MN 55419
I will keep you updated on what is happening in the studio, share new photos and sound clips from studio sessions and offer other news as the project unfolds! Check out the Sample tracks above. Kiitos! Many thanks!
- Tentative release date—June 2013
I will have a CD release party with guest musicians who appear on the new CD, some Finnish treats, a silent auction to win a 5-string kantele made by Gerry Henkel and maybe some post-show tango dancing.
- $1.-$20. My sincere gratitude for helping me complete this project.
- $25. You will get a copy of the new CD in your mailbox in advance of public release.
- $50. You will get a signed copy of the new CD with your name on the credits and a reserved ticket to CD release concert.
- $100. All of the above and signed copy of my most recent poetry book, The Tender Wild Things or signed copy of my last CD, Wild Gardens.
- $200. You will get signed CD, CD credit, 2 tickets, and I will give you a kantele lesson on a 5, 10 or 36-string kantele. If you don’t have your own instrument, you can borrow one of mine.
- $500. Signed CD, CD credit, 2 tickets to concert and a kantele song written just for you which you will receive as an MP3.
- $1000. Signed CD, CD credit, 2 tickets to concert. One copy of La Zingara CD and one copy of Berets and Bongos CD by Cafe Accordion Orchestra (I am a guest artist on both these great recordings), copy of all my CDs, 2 of my books and a poetry reading.
- $1500. Signed CD, CD credit, 2 tickets to CD release concert and I will perform: an exclusive house concert for you. Concert to be held within 75 miles of the Twin Cities.